Over the 14 years we have been working in the career space, we have worked with a large number of individuals that have become frustrated with the progress or direction of their career within their employer organisation. Why do some employees find it difficult to fully engage within an organisation despite the best efforts of both employee and employer?
Recent research suggests common reasons that careers can derail are:
- Problems with interpersonal relationships
- Difficulty building and leading a team
- Misalignment of an individuals values with the culture of the employing organisation
- Focus on a roles activities without consideration for the level of interest in those activities
- Difficulty changing or adapting to a shift in organizational culture due to a merger or acquisition
- Failure to or clarity around meeting required business objectives
- Too narrow a functional orientation
Functional and technical competencies, while important, are seldom the only critical parameter for carer success. Social competencies and motivational alignment within the organization are also important considerations that impact the effectiveness of an executive.
The Compass Motivational Solutions career strategy programmes and insights focus on assisting individuals to make choices that align their strengths and career goals within the context of the organisation.
To learn more about our approach, complete our contact us form.