Over the 20 years, we have worked with a large number of individuals that have become frustrated with the progress or direction of their career within their employer organisation and as a result have been looking at a career change.
Why do some employees find it difficult to fully engage with their role, despite the best efforts of both employee and employer?
Recent research suggests common reasons that careers can derail are:
- Problems with interpersonal relationships
- Difficulty building and leading a team
- Misalignment of an individuals values with the culture of the employing organisation
- Focus on a roles activities without consideration for the level of interest in those activities
- Difficulty changing or adapting to a shift in organizational culture due to a merger or acquisition
- Failure in or clarity around meeting required business objectives
- Too narrow a functional orientation
Functional and technical competencies, while important, are seldom the only critical parameter for carer success. Social competencies and motivational alignment with a specific role are also important considerations that impact the employee effectiveness. Furthermore, alignment of an employees values with the organisations culture and core values can be an important career success factor.
The Compass Motivational Solutions career strategy programmes and insights, focus on assisting individuals to make choices that align their strengths and career goals within the context of the organisation.
Contact us to learn more about our approach to career change.